Ad Hoc Committee
- Opening and Welcome
- Briefing by the Research Unit on their report regarding the calculation of the number of seats in legislatures
- Briefing by the Legal Unit on national legislation determining the size of legislatures in other provinces
- Briefing by Parliamentary Support Services on possible role of the Standing Committee on Premier and Constitutional Matters in support of potential constitutional changes
- Matters for discussion (Members will be allowed to add further items for discussion)
- Should the constitution be changed to reflect a new, fixed number or a formula to determine the number of seats in the WCPP?
- If the ad hoc committee chooses for a formula, what would the major variables be in such a formula, for example:
- What would the ideal frequency be to apply this formula?
- On what variables (population or voter numbers, etc.) should the formula be based?
- How long before an election should such a calculation be finalised and what entity will be responsible for the calculation and final approval of such a number?
- Consideration and adoption of Draft Committee Minutes of 8 June 2022
View live here: https://www.wcpp.gov.za/node/13111